Friday, July 15, 2011

Don't mention the war...

Today I am wearing a shirt that was rather too fitted to wear in public a few weeks ago (it is in fact only the second time I have worn it in 1½ years) and I am feeling fairly smug about it.

I don't understand what you would have to do to your appearance for someone to comment on it in this country, last weekend I gave myself a prison haircut. Nobody has mentioned it. I've lost 11kg which is more than 10% of my starting body weight and nobody has mentioned it. You get new glasses, nobody mentions it.

I can understand that there may be an element of "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" and maybe it's just me. Am I making myself look increasingly ridiculous or is everyone so intimidated by me that they are afraid to say anything? I doubt it and at least hope not!

I think I may decide to keep the hairstyle for now, as there has only been one objection and that was from a long way away. Apparently those closer to home either like/don't mind it or they're too scared to say anything.

Aside:

I am now officially bored with being on a diet, this morning I was 93kg exactly (about 14½ stone) and that is fine, but I haven't reached my secret goal yet so there is not to be any letting up and it is cheat/binge day tomorrow so I can let myself go for 24 hours.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:11 pm

    You're a foreigner, maybe they think your style, haircuts, weight loss etc are a british thing.
    Would you make a comment on a Dane who ate pork ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:29 pm

    When you have lopped all the hair off their ain't much option but to keep the 'hairstyle'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:31 pm

    Could it be that they are less focussed on you that you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:59 pm

    Yes, there would seem to be no short-term option on the hair.
    Perhaps Danes don't make personal comments - MK has never insulted my appearance.
    I always think that if people don't comment, they obviously never noticed the xs weight, hence they don't note its loss.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, by keeping the hair style, I (obviously) meant, keeping it this short.
    I don't think I am particularly obsessed with appearance and I am sure the Danes are aware of it, they just don't comment on other people, I think it is considered too personal because close friends and family do.
    Finally, my old colleagues who I saw last night did in fact notice that I was thinner, although I was quite a lot heavier when I was working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:24 am

    Ah, social commentary. NOW we understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:48 am

    Recognition at last!
    Of course, compliments from your Mother are never considered to be of value.
    m

    ReplyDelete