Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Record Collections

It's a long time since I last bought a CD, or a cassette or a record. That is not a great surprise given the march of technology. I have bought some music on-line and burned some of it onto cds to play in the car, but most of what we have bought is sitting on my computer and the ipod.

It seems like a fair guess that in the future, most music will be streamed directly from the internet and nobody will keep copies of music either as discs or on their computers.

So where does that leave the idea of a record collection?


I think it will be a very sad development that kids will no longer be able to search through their parents record collections looking for something funny, interesting, embarrassing or new to listen to. If young people don't get the chance to experience Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Doors, The Beach Boys, Queen and hundreds of other interesting and influential musicians, that can only be a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that it won't be beamed straight into your brain, like tinnitis.
    I don't have a music collection - I couldn't afford one even if I'd wanted one.
    Did I let you down?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:04 pm

    On the shelf ? or was it a rhetorical question ?

    ReplyDelete