Thursday, February 09, 2012

Deodorent

Some time ago I read that we shouldn't be using deodorant with aluminium in it. Apparently

  • Its been shown to be associated with both the plaques and the tangles in the brains of Alzheimer's victims.
  • Aluminium accumulates in nerve cells that are particularly vulnerable to Alzheimer's disease.
  • Many experimental studies have been done on animals and cells that show that aluminum has a toxic effect on the nervous system.
I assumed that it would be easy enough to find a brand of deodorant that is free of aluminium salts, but it is not. I have tried 3 or 4 different types. The first was good but too expensive and none of the subsequent ones really seem to work that well. One from the body shop doesn't work, another which was the active ingredient "crystal" which doesn't work and a Sanex version with minerals that was actually OK, but I can't find it any more.

I guess the search will continue and in the meantime, I continue to become just a little too aware of my own scent by the end of the day.


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:40 pm

    re Al in deodorants; don't let it worry you too much, when we were kids mum used aluminium saucepans and no-one in the family has lost their marbles yet ! aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 pm

    Believe that if you will! Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 pm

    I've lost a lot of mine.
    You're not ingesting your deodorant are you - just avoid breathing in whilst you apply it.
    Everyone used Al saucepans until 20 years ago, then all scrapped.
    About 10 years ago they decide d that Al had no effect.
    Is there new info?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:11 pm

    I agree w/ YOUR views on the aluminum issue -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:24 pm

    Rhubarb,Rhubarb great when cooked in aluminium pans!

    ReplyDelete